Saturday, January 22, 2011

differences between the average untrained photographer and the trained photographer

Untrained:
  • poor composition
  • poor focus
  • lack of understanding of what the different things (white balance, ISO, exposure compensation, etc.) do--leaving the camera fully on Auto is good enough

Trained:
  • Total opposite: the trained photog wants (and needs) to know about all the little options in the menu and buttons and dials on the camera, as well as how to focus properly and how to compose an image.
FYI, as the daughter of a self-taught photographer, I'm hesitant to generalize photographers who haven't taken courses or been to art school. However, I do know that not everyone is as awesome as my father (who's one of my favourite artists). My mom, for example, isn't after quality: she uses her photos as a guide for her paintings (which are gorgeous--she, too, is one of my favourite artists).

No comments:

Post a Comment